Sunday, August 19, 2007

Experience

I was the camp coordinator for the 2 days 1 night PLTC camp in school for scouts which ended yesterday. I know I did quite badly. Many things I was late to confirm. Many things I got it done very slow. Many things I was very blur. I’m supposed to be a person full of self confidence but I really can’t be through this camp. My confidence is all gone. Why? There are just too many things I’m uncertain of and I’m scared of doing things that affect other people.

How would you know about things best? Experience would be the answer. I’m a truly inexperienced person in management. I never manages things no matter small or big. In short, I’m a newbie. Worse is I’m quite a coward actually. I don’t dare to do things I’m not sure that can affect more than myself. As I’ve said numerous times, self confidence is really important but it’s not possible to have self confidence at all times. What can we do then?

Experience is one of the answers. Once you’ve done something once before, you’ll know what to do and if you know what to do, of course you’ll have confidence. Of course that’s not for everything. I’m meaning for things that experience can help. Another answer would be prepare and do things early. If you settle and finish everything early, you’ll have time to fix or time to ask if you do things wrongly, stuck in the middle or not sure about things. With both add together plus the things I wrote in my self confidence post, you’re more or less a pro already.

I am nowhere near a pro. I think that I can catch things and interpret things quite well. I think I can manipulate knowledge fine. The problem here is my knowledge is limited. I’d suck in the first time. Experience is what improves people. That is why usually older people can seem to think better and stuff. It’s because they have experience in a lot of different stuffs. Oh, I left out this. Everyone needs to be decisive as well. I am not a decisive person myself. I don’t know what it takes to be decisive so I can’t interpret on it.

Actually we should equip ourselves with all kinds of positive characteristics but it’s quite impossible to have everything. That’s why we should concentrate on those needed most first. Once you’re done then you go on to those second in line. One of the main point I’m trying to say is I’m lacking the few things. That’s why I did so badly The most important is actually experience. If experience can’t be given, what I need would be a complete guideline on every single aspect on the thing I’m handling. If you ask me am I ready to be a good leader yet I would answer soon. Through every experience I go through I will improve. I’m taking up more and more things now. I’m trying to get myself experience and skills of different aspects. That’s one way to improve.

Experience beats genius.

End
Yu

No comments: