Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Selfish

Selfish is to be doing everything for the sake of oneself. How about helping people and then environment to make ourselves feel better? Doing good things and avoid the bad to prevent ourselves from feeling the pain of guilt? The outcome may be good for others but the main reason is for oneself. So is it still labeled as a selfish action or is it not?

I have always been clinging on to the theory of I’m doing good things for the sake of feeling better myself. I can take some displeasure myself for others as it might be worse seeing people I care for suffer and I don’t help. But up to that it’s still a point where I’m doing it for my own benefit. What if it’s not? Is it still worth it to sacrifice for others?

Is self or others more important?

2 comments:

Clayton J.C Tan said...

All human are selfish. Face it!

And you're true that we all do things for ourselves, and let's not fool ourselves thinking we would ever do things for others.

We do charity to feel better ourselves. We help others to reduce their suffering for a better peace within us. Imagine what would your inner-self be feeling if you let go an opportunity to do good when it's well within your capability? Horrible, right? So we're doing it in order not to feel the guilt.

It is only when we admit everything we do is for ourselves can we realize the true feeling of peace and happiness.

If we do anything "for someone else", the expectation of a return will always be there. Thus, we often hear the phrase "I've been doing so much for you but you just don't appreciate". In actual fact, who was it done for?

We often do things "for someone else" but in fact it's to help us prove to ourselves about "who am I" within ourselves. Think about the meaning within.

Anonymous said...

No doubt all humans can be selfish. But I don't believe that everything we all do is for ourselves only. Sometimes, we just do things for others simply because we care about others. And when you do things for other people because you care about them, you won't be expecting anything in return.